Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fanny Read


I'm going through all of the books in the man cave to create space.  I told Katie I would let her put her long-arm quilter down here.  It's 12 feet long and I have plenty of room for it.  I guess we'll no longer be allowed to refer to it as the man cave.

I was looking through a book published by the Erie Railroad that contained photos and information of passenger and freight depots along the Delaware River in PA and NY (the Erie passes from NY to PA at Sparrowbush and crosses back at Tusten -- roughly 25 miles).  At the Hancock station, it mentioned the Fanny Read story continued with the Hancock House, but gave no details.

I googled it, but found nothing.  Imagine that!!  So I searched newspapers.com.  It seems that every newspaper, big and small, reported her death on 19 January 1932.  The article below is from the Miami Daily News-Record (Miami Oklahoma).


Brings back memories of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens.

The article below is from The Plain Speaker of Hazleton PA dated 29 September 1938 and relates to the estate auction of her effects.


There were a number of feature articles that appeared over the years in various newspapers documenting her "saga."  Below is the heading from the article in the Sunday Ogden Standard-Examiner of 22 January 1928.

No comments: